Hates getting your laptop freeze frequently while working on? How to increase laptop speed?
After using your laptop for a long time, or when the amount of unnecessary data stored in your system might be huge. It is possible that the speed of your laptop might slow down, making it difficult for you to work on it.
In this article, I am giving you few simple tweaks to optimize your system performance and increase laptop speed significantly.
Step-by-Step: Methods to increase laptop speed
1. Run system maintenance:
System maintenance is a built-in tool in Windows which can identify the issues in your operating system and fix them to improve computer performance.
Steps to run system maintenance:
- Open Control Panel -> System and Security -> Security and Maintenance
- Click on “Maintenance” and under automatic maintenance click on “Start maintenance” to start the process
- You can also set timing for running automatic system maintenance, clicking on “Change maintenance settings”
2. Adjust your power options:
Windows offers three types of pre-set power plans for you to choose from – Balanced, Power saver and High performance. By default, your system runs on Balanced power plan, in which, the performance and energy consumption are optimally balanced.
Power saver option, helps you save energy by compromising on performance, whereas, High performance plan, boosts your system performance but consumes more energy at the same time.
Steps for adjusting your power plan:
- Open Control panel -> Select hardware and sound -> Power options -> Create power plan.
- In the next window select option High performance and give suitable name to this power plan and then click on next button.
- Choose the display settings for your new plan and click on create
3. Disable unwanted startup programs:
There are usually a number of unnecessary programs automatically running in the background, when you start your computer. Some of them might be useful to you, but other unwanted programs might slowdown you laptop.
Steps to disable unwanted startup programs:
- Open task manager by right clicking on task bar and select task manager.
- Now click on the startup tab to see a list of applications that run on startup.
- Select the unnecessary programs and simply click disable button at the bottom
While disabling these programs, please ensure that you do not disable any programs published by Microsoft as disabling them may cause your system to misbehave.
4. Run a Disc cleanup:
The Disc cleanup will delete the temporary files like items in the recycle bin and other system files which are no longer required. This will free up Disc space which can help improve your laptop speed.
Steps to Run a Disc cleanup:
- Open my computer
- Select your hard drive, generally drive C and right click on it. In the popup menu, select properties
- Click on Disc cleanup option and the cleanup process starts. Once the process is complete you will get a list of all the files which are no longer required.
- Generally, there are no personal documents included in these files but if you find any important file, uncheck those boxes and then click OK.
- Next click on “Delete Files” to complete the Disc cleanup process.
5. Disc Defragmentation and optimization:
System performance can be greatly improved by regularly using Disc defragmenter which is one of the basic tools offered by windows. Whenever we save our files, the windows fragments our files and saves it at different locations in hard drive.
Disc defragmenter as the name suggests helps defragement these files, allowing windows to access and open it faster, which in turn improves system performance.
Steps to Run Disc Defragmentation:
- Open Control Panel -> System and Security
- Under “Administrative Tools” , click on “Defragment and Optimize your drives”
- Now click on “Analyse” to check weather your hard disk requires to be defragmented or not. If the fragmentation is more than 10%, only then you need to run the defragmenter.
- After analysis is complete, click on “Defragment disc” or “Optimize” button.
- After the process is complete, click close.
6. Change visual effects:
You can boost your system performance by reducing the interface graphical performance of your laptop. Reducing this will reduce some appealing visual and graphic effects, but will allow to boost your system performance to the maximum. However, this should be one of the last resorts, to be taken in order to improve your laptop speed.
Steps to change visual effects:
- Open Control panel -> System and Security -> System
- On the next window, Click on Advanced System Settings
- Click on Settings button under performance to open Performance Options window
- Select the option “Adjust for best performance” & then click on Apply and then OK.
7. Using Clean-up and Optimization software:
By using some free tools offered by windows, you can easily identify the files and folders which are never used by you and delete them. These tools also delete the temporary files, cookies, caches and all such files which are not important but are slowing down your laptop.
One of the most trusted and best applications is CCleaner. CCleaner clears all the unimportant files from your system and also check the Windows registry for any problems and suggests solutions to correct them. Fixing registry issues can be very useful to boost performance and increase computer speed.