With such extensive use, it is not possible to carry a personal computer, PC, anywhere and everywhere. That is why it has become extremely important to have access to your PC from anywhere so that you can use it even when on the move.
Now, the question is how to remotely access our PC? There are many cross-platform remote desktop software available today, which using another device(server), over the internet allow access to our computer and its applications. This process is also called streaming.
Let’s move on to to the list of tools, picked with care to help you remotely access PC easily.
How to Remotely Access PC: 6 Tools to Consider
- Team Viewer
- Any Desk
- Log Me In
- Chrome Remote Desktop
- Inbuilt tools offered by Windows
Going further, let’s know what these tools offer and which one suits you best.
One of the most popular tools to remotely access PC, TeamViewer deserves to be at the first spot. This cross-platform tool has a captivating interface and it’s so easy to use even for a novice.
All you have to do is download the tool on both host and remote desktop; you have option to use it one time without installation or just install if you’re a frequent user.
Here are the features which make TeamViewer excellent and popular among every age group and business type.
– 40.000+ people download TeamViewer everyday to connect PC remotely
– Incredibly fast and ensure high security though their secure global network.
– Absolutely free for personal and non-commercial use.
– Offers 7-day trial for business and requires no credit card to Sign Up.
– Available for all major platforms like Windows, Android, iOS and Mac.
One of the most exciting features of TeamViewer is you can integrate it with 20+ business applications, such as Salesforce, Azure, Zendeskand and Zoho. See complete list of supported applications here.
AnyDesk provides you with all the features to work efficiently in your home office. Benefit from file transfer, remote printing, chat, and many more.
– AnyDesk is the most versatile remote desktop software available for almost every platform
– You can use AnyDesk without logging in.
-One of the lightest remote desktop applications, only 3 MB
-Chatting feature, Collaborate and communicate with ease.
-Banking-standard TLS 1.2 technology protects your computer from unauthorized access.
-Only con: It needs little faster internet speed than TeamViewer to get the best output.
You can easily download AnyDesk and make remote access to an amazing experience.
LogMeIn is another cross-platform software available for use both on Windows and Mac operating systems but is slightly more confusing, and is available on a paid basis, is no longer free which gives the team viewer software an edge over it.
– Considered to be the most reliable software which will never let your business come to a halt.
– No matter which location you are LogMeIn will never be a hurdle in your way, offering the most secure and reliable remote desktop connection.
– Companies like- Dell, Github, CNN are some of its customers.
With a free trial, you definitely have the opportunity to have an experience offered by LogMeIn.
The application which provides remote access to its professionals comes with a special trial offer which you must give a try.
– Offering fast and reliable communications while remote access is attempted is something you can look up to.
– You can easily connect with your clients, all you need to do is give them the link to connect and you are good to go!
– Encryption is done using TLS and 256 bit AES, along with 2-step device verification this application is one of the ideal ones.
And to top it all up, this remote viewer comes with a free trial, so you can easily download (without credit card)
5. Chrome Remote Desktop
Another such remote viewer which is available for us is none other than the one offered to us by one and only google.
– With additional feature of being accessible everywhere be it on PC’s , android or even mac, google never stops surprising us.
– The trust that one can have while using google’s services while remotely accessing any device is unquestionable since it has proved itself time and again!
– You can easily access this free software.
6. Inbuilt Features Offered by Windows
If we consider single platform software, for example Window to Window software, Window users have a lot of options but use the Windows built-in remote desktop option as it does not require to set up any additional software.
Further, this Windows built-in remote desktop maintains a high level of control and is also known for window integration which is a secure form of built-in Microsoft Internet Information Service (IIS) that automatically authenticates and sign-in a user to EMS Web App.
Next important thing to understand is how to connect your computer, using the Windows built-in remote desktop option, to another Window’s computer from inside implying when your computer is on the same network in the vicinity of the system which you want to connect with or when your computer is on the same network but not in its vicinity and is far away from the system which you want to connect with.
– Steps for Remotely Accessing PC’s in Vicinity
In the case of connecting your computer to another window’s computer on the same network in the vicinity of the former which could be a room nearby, we adhere to the following steps:
1. Press the smart menu, on the computer which is being accessed from a distance. Then look and select the “allow remote access to this computer” choice. A window will open on the right side on the screen of your computer.
At the bottom of the screen, you will see two selection indicators called radio buttons and press either one depending upon the type of operating system being used i.e windows 7 or any other version.
If it is Windows 7 OS then you can click “allow connections only from the remote desktop with network-level authentication” radio button or else you may opt for “allow connection from any version of remote desktop” choice.
2. Using the start button select the “Remote desktop connection” option and type that computers’ name, which you want to select, on the remote computer.
3. On the remote computer, to gain access, tick the “connect” option using the username and password of the home computer.
– Steps for Remotely Accessing PC’s not in Vicinity.
In another case when we connect one computer to another Window’s computer far off outside the network, not in the vicinity of the former, no extra software is required and the following steps are considered:
1. After logging into the router’s admin page from your home PC forward Transmission Control Protocol(TCP) port 3389 to the computer required to be connected with as described below in the following steps.
2. Using DynDNS services creates a simple domain name to connect your PC with the remote computer or you can also connect through your computer’s public IP which can be obtained from http://whatismyip.org. The only problem with this public IP address is that it is not consistent and can change from time to time hindering accessibility.
3. Click the start menu on the computer which needs to be accessed from a remote position and search for “Allow remote access” and choose the option “Allow remote access to this computer”. A window will open on the right side on the screen of your computer.
At the bottom of the screen, you will see two selection indicators called radio buttons and press either one depending upon the type of operating system being used i.e Windows 7or any other version. If it is windows 7 OS then you can click “allow connections only from the remote desktop with network-level authentication” radio button or else you may opt for “allow connection from any version of remote desktop” choice.
4. On going to the remote computer placed far away using its start button locate the “Remote desktop” option and choose and type your DynDNS name set up or the public IP address.
5. On the remote computer, to gain access, tick the “connect” option using the username and password of the home computer.
Once the above steps have been processed on the remote PC, you do not need to repeat all the steps every time, but can connect with the home PC just by repeating steps 4 & 5.
There are other available options for single platform Windows to Windows PC remote access like UltraVNC and TightVNC with UltraVNC having more features. These options also allow access to your computer from any web browser but are more complicated as compared to TeamViewer.
Now that you know about all the options choose the one that seems fit and go ahead!
You might also like to know: