If you’re a PC user, most probably you’re suffering from slow speed and hanging. Here are some proven ways to speed up Windows 10.
With certain tweaks, you can boost your Windows 10 performance. Windows keeps on updating free of cost, with better results bringing new features that work on devices other than the PC also, making it a versatile application.
Here is a brief on How to Speed Up Windows 10:
- Switch of the PC when not in use
- Updating of windows
- Disable startup and re-launch apps
- Remove unused apps
- Run disk clean up
- Check PC for malware
- Disable system visual effects
- Clean out your registry
Let us now try to elaborate on some of the ways on How to Improve Computer Performance Windows 10:
1. Switch of the PC when not in use:
- In a PC with a Windows 10 OS, if it is not powered off, the OS can put the display to sleep but continues the previously running process. With time, all these processes keep adding on, slowing down the PC.
- To avoid this, switch off the PC at the end of the day after having saved the work at hand or closed any running program.
2. Updating of Windows:
For improving the performance and maximizing efficiency, Microsoft regularly provides updates for Windows 10 to fix common problems.
- If the PC is slowing down, open the Windows menu and type ‘update’ in the search bar and click ‘Check for Updates’. When updating the computer may restart a number of times it updates Windows, if there is more than one update.
- To avoid losing any unsaved data when the PC restarts, it is better to save and back up all personal data before Updating.
3. Disable startup and re-launch apps:
Many apps that are already installed on our PC are so programmed that windows will start to run their program automatically, in the background, once the PC is started.
- Windows 10 can restart or relaunch an App implying that the program begins to run automatically from where it had stopped when you last closed the PC.
- With so many processes running the PC automatically slows down. To prevent a program from auto-launch or re-launch it is best to right-click and choose ‘Disable’. This will disable both startup apps and re-launch apps and improve PCs speed.
4. Remove unused Apps to Speed Up Windows 10:
- Many Apps come installed with the PC when purchased or maybe installed just as one-time use Apps. These Apps referred to as ‘Bloatware’ occupy unwanted space.
- They can be uninstalled by Right-Clicking on App not needed and select Uninstall. Windows 10 requests permission to make requisite changes. Click ‘Yes’ to continue which removes the unwanted App.
5. Run Disk Clean Up:
Any unwanted or temporary files such as image thumbnails, junk files in the download folders not been looked into for months, files lying in the recycle bins can unnecessarily bloat-up the hard disk drive and slow down the PC.
- Regular cleanup of the hard disk can boost up the speed of the PC. A useful tool called ‘Storage Sense’ an inbuilt tool in Windows 10 when toggled to ‘on’ position, regularly monitors and deletes all the unwanted files, the criteria to delete files could be time-based or space limitation based.
- Storage Sense also helps move files to Microsoft’s one drive cloud storage depending upon the length of time, not in use. This will also help keep the disk cleaned, improving the PC’s speed
- The hard disk can be cleaned of any old version of Windows, using Storage Sense after a fixed time of installation of the upgraded version and help increase the PC’s speed
6. Check PC for Malware:
Several malicious programs, Viruses, spyware, and adware take up a lot of system memory, which becomes another reason for a system slowdown.
Though Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender Antivirus, it can still be possible at times for malware to affect the system. In such a case try a full virus scan after which the Windows Defender Antivirus can take over and continue its function.
In case the Windows Defender Antivirus does not start or has a problem scanning the PC it can be assumed that there is a more aggressive malware infecting the PC. In such a case, go in for Offline Windows Defender Antivirus scan to help remove it.
7. Disable System Visual Effects:
- Windows 10 has many visual effects as part of its features like animations, shadows, blur, transparency, reveal highlight, and many others. These features are resource-intensive and they slow down the system performance on older and slower hardware PCs.
- To improve the system performance you can disable these effects and boost windows 10 performance.
8. Clean out your Registry:
- Registry tracks and controls the way Windows works and looks including information about where programs are stored, which DLLs they use and share, and what file types should be opened by which program, etc. It is a very messy thing.
- It should be noted that when a program is uninstalled, its settings don’t always get cleaned up in the Registry.
- So over time, it can get filled with countless settings leading to system slowdown. It is cleaned using a Registry Cleaner. For this purpose, you can download the free Auslogics Registry Cleaner which does a good job.
From above we have seen several ways of how to speed up Windows 10 software and hope this will help improve the working experience on Windows 10.
Other useful articles for Windows users: