Google has designed the perfect tool to analyze your account passwords and strengthen your security. The Google Password Checkup service can help you in creating a strong password to safeguard your accounts from intruders.
According to a survey by DataProt:
- 51% of people use the same passwords for both work and personal accounts.
- 23 million account holders still use the password “123456”.
- An analysis of more than 15 billion passwords reveals the average password has eight characters or less.
- 53% of people rely on their memory to manage passwords.
Shocked! Aren’t you? If you can relate to some of these above facts then it is high time that you took the security of your passwords seriously and today we shall be helping you in this task.
Analyzing passwords with Google Password Checkup
In its earlier stages, Google launched the Password Checkup tool as a Chrome extension but as Google loves to integrate things into a single unit, in the year 2020 the Chrome extension was shutdown and Google now has a single website dedicated to password managing as well as password checkup.
Let us see how you can use the Google Account Password Manager to check your password strength and whether it has been compromised in some way or not.
Password Checkup Online
The Google Password Manager is a one-stop destination if you want to manage and check all your passwords across all your devices whether it is Android or Chrome.
The Password Manager helps you to manage and check the strength and security of your saved passwords. You can find out if any of your passwords have been compromised and also get personalized advice when you need it.
Google Password Checkup helps you analyze your password and whenever you sign-in to an account, it checks your password against a database of known breaches and if your password is among the list of the known breaches, it alerts you and suggests you to reset your password. It also indicates whether a password you use for non-Google websites has been exposed in some way.
Let us see how you can check your passwords with the Google Password Checkup tool:
1. Head to the Google Password Manager website and login into your account.
2. Click on the “Go to Password Checkup” option.
3. You will be asked to verify your account access by logging in again.
4. After successful verification, your password checkup interface opens and you can see all the saved passwords and their strengths. You will see any compromised, non-unique, or weak passwords with the option to change them to a stronger password.
In this way, you can use Google’s Password Checkup tool to strengthen your account passwords and safeguard your accounts against breaches.
Frequently Asked Questions: How to use Google Password Checkup for your account?
What are the rules for a Google password?
The Google password that you create must contain 12 characters or more and it can be any combination of letters, numbers, and symbols (ASCII-standard characters only). Accents and accented characters are not supported in the password.
Is it safe to save passwords in Google?
Although the Google Password Manager claims to be highly secure, yet you shouldn’t use it as your password manager. Its Chrome extension comes with a Smart-Lock security feature, but still, your passwords are quite vulnerable. Instead, you should use other powerful password managers such as KeePass, DashLane, LastPass, etc.
Should I store my passwords in the cloud?