Screen video capture or Screen recording in Windows is the video recording of a computer screen that is often accompanied by serves for educational purposes.
Teachers and online tutors use it to create e-learning tutorials and courses, employers may screen record ‘How to’ videos for its employees. For content creators, in their YouTube channel for marketing. Despite their popularity, it can be a challenge to find the best screen recording software for your needs.
Here is a comprehensive guide that will help you make the right choice by comparing the capabilities, features, pricing, etc. of different screen recording software.
Top Free Screen Recording Tools for Windows
1. Flashback Recorder Express:
Flashback Recorder Express is a free screen recording tool from the software company named Blueberry, and it’s a great tool for capturing footage from your desktop and then immediately sharing it online.
- Records both screen and the sounds along with it.
- You can add additional voice-over if you want.
- There is no time limit for a specific recording.
- Publishes the video directly on YouTube.
- Helps you add effects like zoom, pan and magnifier.
- You can record from multiple monitors.
- Records from both webcam and mic.
- No time limits or watermarks.
- Multi-monitor recording.
- Does not have a built-in editor for the video.
- Does not supports webcam recordings alone.
ScreenRec is a free, lightweight screen recorder software that allows you to record your screen or take a screenshot with a click. It is reliable and super easy to work with.
It automatically uploads your screen cast videos to your private cloud account so that you can share a video safely along with protecting your copyrights.
- Entirely free software.
- Gives you a private sharing link instantly.
- Virus free.
- Allows upto 2 GB of secured cloud storage.
- Comes with absolutely no watermarks, ads or time limits.
- Records your computer screen in HD.
- Extremely lightweight.
- Saves the files in the .MP4 format which can be played on any device (free MP4 screen recorder).
- No video editing tools at this point.
- Can’t record your webcam.
3. OBS Studio
OBS Studio is a free, open-source solution for game recording and live streaming. It is a highly customized software and not meant for everyday users. It can be used to create scripts and plug-ins.
- Intuitive audio mixer.
- Really powerful configuration.
- Multiple video source filters.
- Provides you with multiple themes to work with.
- Comes with a variety of recording and live-streaming options.
- Automatically records from both webcam and microphone.
- Optimized for games.
- Does not provide a variety of help.
- Not for everyday users.
ActivePresenter is an all-in-one screen recorder and video editor. It is most loved by YouTubers, video producers, educators, and trainers who look for video demos, how-to videos, and step-by-step tutorials. ActivePresenter has virtually all the features and effects one may need to record screens and edit videos.
- Full motion recording.
- Smart capturing option.
- Can record both screen and webcam together and webcam alone depending on your need.
- Sounds from both microphone and additional voice-overs.
- Lossless quality.
- Advanced video editing features.
- No time limit, ad free.
- Publishes videos directly to YouTube.
- No video cropping feature, though there is a workaround.
- Does not allow to schedule recordings.
The Best Paid Screen Recording Software for Windows.
Bandicam by the company BANDICAM is widely popular as one of the most powerful game recording software for gamers. It can record various 2D/3D games with 4K UHD resolution at up to 144 FPS. It can also record the full screen, part of the screen, and external video devices such as webcam and game console.
- Real Time Drawing
- High Compression Ratio.
- Add Webcam Overlay, logo.
- Add webcam overlay.
- Extremely lightweight.
- Records full screen, webcam, microphone, computer sound.
- Add logo to the screen capture.
- Limited video output formats: MP4, AVI.
- No built-in video editor.
Bandicam Screen Recorder pricing starts at $39.00 as a one-time payment, per user.
Camtasia is one of the highest-priced screen recorder software at present. It has over 14 million users worldwide and might never be absent in top screen recorder rankings. As an all-in-one screen recorder and video editor, Camtasia claims to “make it easy to record your screen and create polished, professional-looking videos.”
- Automatic audio leveling. Your videos will sound better than ever, no matter how many audio files you add to the timeline with Automatic Audio Leveling.
- Mouse cursor smoothing.
- Editable keyboard shortcuts.
- Support themes with logos or other images.
- Records full-screen window region, webcam, microphone and computer sound.
- Video editing features like trim, cut, split, change speed/volume, add zoom-n-pan, annotations, multimedia, animations, transitions, audio fade in/out, green screen effect, and more.
- Free video, image, and audio assets: intros, outros, motion backgrounds, icons, music, sound effects, and more.
- Relatively expensive in comparison with other screencasting software.
- 64-bit only.
Camtasia’s pricing starts with $249 as a one-time payment per user. However, it lets you have a free 30-day trial.
3. Flashback Pro
FlashBack is a full-motion-based screen recording Windows 10 software with a simple handy interface. You can capture your screen, along with webcam and mic, and then make the recording better with built-in editing tools and by adding captions, arrows, images, and highlights.
- Joins movies together.
- Edits video and audio frame-by-frame
- Crop movies and follow the mouse to keep focus on the action.
- Add zoom, pan and magnifier effect.
- Add transition effects.
- Blurs out the sensitive information.
- Highlights areas of interest.
- Gives protection of password.
- Allows you to import files only in FBR format.
- Does not track the movement of windows in use
Flashback Pro’s pricing starts with $49 as a one-time payment per user and $74 for two users. However, it lets you have a free 30-day trial.
4. Action Recorder
One of the most popular screen recording and gameplay recording software.
Action recorder allows streaming and real-time recording of Windows desktop in a superb HD video quality. With Action! you can record and stream your gameplay, web player videos, record music, capture screenshots, add webcams, microphone commentary.
- The most user-friendly and stylish interface of all screen recorders.
- Greenscreen Mode.
- Record webcam or USB/HDMI Capture Devices.
- Try screen recording with the Selected Application recording option.
- Records the gameplay in HD.
- Supports live streaming and benchmarking and screenshots capture.
- Webcam support and microphone commentary.
- Supports HD recording.
- Cannot adjust the video bitrates within the software.
- Not 100% free – with the 30days free trial.
Flashback Pro’s pricing starts with 19.77 as a one-time payment per user. However, it lets you have a free 30-day trial.
Screen recording software can serve a variety of purposes, and the best ones don’t necessarily need to come at a price. Both free and paid tools from the best screen recording software can be effective methods of capturing work-related or entertainment activities on your PC.
Useful Articles That Might Help You: