Visual content is the best way to deliver information and advertise online. It has grown exponentially in the past 5 years or so. Doubt it? Check out these stats.
- According to Hubspot’s 2020 ‘State of Marketing Report’, 70% of surveyed companies invest in visual content. The number rises to 80% of social media marketing.
- Visual content shows much higher conversion rates than traditional plain text content. Facebook ads with a picture see about 2.3 times more clicks than an ad without pictures.
Are you a blogger, social media marketer, or a small business owner who’s looking to create your own visual content? Are traditional tools like Photoshop, Corel Draw and Adobe AI too complicated? There are far too many easy-to-use graphic design tools on the market now.
Snappa is one of the many design tools available on the web to let you do exactly that. Read our Snappa Review to see if it is YOUR design tool.
What is Snappa?
Snappa is an online graphic design SaaS tool. It is used to create and publish beautiful visual content for social media websites, blogs and advertisements. It was founded in 2015 by Christopher Gimmer and Marc Chouinard in Ottawa, Canada. It grew popular owing to the simplistic design and large collection of trendy templates.
Who is it for?
Snappa is mostly aimed at non-designers and beginners. It has a simplistic and intuitive UI. It is a great choice for anybody with little design experience. It takes away the complexity that other classic designing tools like Adobe Photoshop ask for.
In fact, Snappa was founded as a potential solution to small businesses that struggled to create quality graphics. So, Snappa was created for people who did not have sufficient designing expertise but also could not afford to hire a designer. Snappa’s simplicity and ease of use are here to stay because they are its very defining features.
If you are looking for a way to make your own visual content, Snappa might be just the right tool for you.
Snappa Features and Benefits
1. Intuitive UI/UX
Snappa has a very clean and intuitive UI. It is beautiful because it is simple. The elegant interface is, in fact, its most notable feature. It has got a beautiful landing page free of any confusingly excessive navigation buttons. So much so that, it makes even makes a causal surfer want to try out the tool.
2. Ready to Use Resources
Another great feature is Snappa’s amazing collection of stock photos and icons. Pre-made templates are trendy and available to choose from based on the graphic’s purpose. Also, all the non-copyrighted images are in HD and readily available with a search feature.
3. Ease of use
It is extremely easy to use. Snappa’s target audience is small businesses that can’t hire professional designers to design their promotions. It does not require any form of design experience and is purely spontaneous. A little experimentation with the tool is all it takes to design an attractive graphic.
4. Elegant UI-UX
It has a simple and elegant user interface. Once logged in, Snappa’s dashboard is the graphic creation tool itself. Once the graphic’s purpose is determined, you get back a list of great template suggestions.Then you do the following
- Pick a template.
- Play around with the text, background, colours and illustrations.
- Voila! Beautiful and authentic looking design.
The UI makes it as simple as it sounds.
5. Ready to go Templates
The seemingly endless collection of templates are a great place to start for inexperienced designers. The templates are mostly also categorised by purpose and platform, that is:
- Social Media Posts
- Blogging and Infographics
- Headers and Banners
- Social and Display Advertisements
6. Collection of Visual Content
Snappa offers a variety of stock images, icons, vectors and patterns. A little search feature fetches all the most relevant content with just a click. All the pictures are HD and are free of any copyright restrictions. Also, you can upload and manage locally available images from your machine.
7. Custom Fonts
Custom Fonts is again a Snappa Pro/Team feature. It lets users upload fonts in formats of .tff, .otf and .wolf and edit graphics with them. Additionally, it also supports foreign character sets via custom upload.
8. One click Background Removal
Remove the background in an image and highlight only the subject in just ‘one-click’. The is a Pro and Team feature that is mostly unique to Snappa.
9. Download in Web Optimised Format
Snappa lets you download in the following multiple formats:
- Web optimised JPG
- High-res PNG (with/without transparent background)
- Retina-JPG 2x size
- Retina-PNG 2x size (with/without transparent background)
10. Image Resizing
Resize graphics according their needs in a couple clicks. Snappa lets you resize images to make it a perfect fit for almost every platform. Doesn’t matter if it is a Facebook post or a YouTube thumbnail anymore, all it takes is one click. You can also enter custom dimensions to resize the graphic.
11. Social Media Integration
Forget downloading and posting social media promotions manually every time you create a graphic. Snappa lets you link to these social media accounts directly
Other social media accounts except Facebook and Twitter are not supported directly mostly owing to privacy restrictions. Snappa does support Buffer. Buffer is a social media management application that lets users schedule posts to social media accounts. It supports – Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and Pinterest.
Documentation goes a long way, when you are learning any new tool. Snappa’s documentation is clean and simple. It has brief articles and FAQs for all its features. If you a beginner, there are about 10 small video tutorials to walk you through the basics. All these are available under Snappa’s ‘Knowledge Base’ section.
Snappa has a great blog for all beginners and intermediate designers. It lets you keep track of all the latest updates in the design world. There are a variety of blogs from the latest design trends to updates of popular social media platforms. It is a superb place to know the latest trends for any designer.
15. Team Collaboration
Another great feature of Snappa is team collaboration. It is a paid feature that comes with the Snappa Team plan. The team plan lets up to 5 people to collaborate as a team. It comes with the following additional features:
- Design Folders – Common folders to store graphics that will be available to the entire team. It can be viewed, downloaded or edited by the rest of the team. This saves the team the pain of sorting and sharing files during the process of designing. Reviewing progress is made extremely easy.
- Share Assets – Custom visual assets like pictures, logos, icons, specific designs, custom fonts are all now one click away from being shared with the team.
- Team Fonts – Fonts of supported types are easily shared and managed in the tram workspace.
- Team Colours – Sharing hex codes for colours is a thing of the past. With a simple colour picker gradient tool, it is much easier to share colours with Teams.
- Managing Team Members – Team members privileges and access can be managed. Admin privilege can be granted to multiple members at once.
Plans and Pricing
The pricing is great! The free plan lets you use the graphic tool for an unlimited number of times. Too bad you get only 3 free downloads a month. Snappa offers 2 forms of paid subscriptions – Pro and Team, with unlimited downloads. They cost $10 and $20 respectively when paid annually, which is a lot cheaper than other classical design tools.
What can you create with Snappa?
You can create a multitude of graphics for social media posts, billboards, advertisements and more. With a little creativity, you can create beautiful visual content. This needs almost zero design experience. A few things you can use Snappa to create are: a. Social Media Posts and Stories
- Visuals for Blogging
- Start screens and End screens for videos
- Digital Posters
- Virtual Backgrounds for video telecommunication
- Promotions and much more
Snappa is not the only design tool in town. At the end of the day, there are a ton of design tools on the web and they offer a varying and complicated set of features. Here are a few others worth checking out with their notable features:
- Canva is a great alternative to Snappa. They share a lot of similarities in the simplicity of design.
- But Canva login brings with it many more features for images like adding photo filters, image straightener, photo frames.
- It has options to add grids, layouts, stickers and speech bubbles.
- Canva pricing is great too. The pro plan costs $9.95/month (billed annually) and $12.25/month (billed monthly).
- Canva also has a much fancier Team plan for $30/user/month (billed annually)
- It has a much bigger collection of images. Canva also has a much bigger user base. You can also use Canva app.
- PicMonkey is an online image editing tool, that provides features simplified from Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- It’s got a great pricing plan. The pro plan costs $6/month (billed annually) and $8/month (paid monthly)
- But it does not have an unlimited free-tier plan.
- There are also mobile versions of the application available for android and iOS.
- FotoJet aims to bring together image editing, designing and making collages.
- It does not require a registration for the free features. And the pro plan has a 7-day trial period.
- It is very cheap. $3.33/month (billed annually) and $7/month (billed monthly).
- Separate collage making feature.
- It has uniquely detailed templates and an assortment of clipart categorized by type.
- The Stencil comes with a huge database of 2,300,000+ stock photos, icons and graphics.
- Compatible with Google Fonts and has a collection of 100,000+ quotes.
- Auto-create bit.ly links for graphics.
- Stencil also comes as a browser extension and a WordPress plugin.
- Social media integration.
Snappa Review: Pros and Cons
- It is extremely easy to use
- Simple and elegant user interface
- No experience or additional training required
- A large collection of high quality ready to go visual content
- Affordable pricing
- Saves time and money of hiring a professional designer
- Social Media integration
- Not enough features to create extremely unique content
- Not as versatile as classic Photoshop. Cannot showcase creativity.
- Only supports web client for now. No support for desktop, Android or iOS
- Language support is limited to English at the moment
P.S. Not all design tools are the same. Do not commit to a design tool too early. Save yourself the hassle of switching between tools. Know what features you need, weigh your options and then, pick one!
Take A Look At These Helpful Reviews: