You put on headphones for a quick urgent meeting or to enjoy a movie only to find out that your headphones not working in Windows. What can be the possible reasons? There are a couple of solutions possible for this kind of issue.
Solved: Headphones not working in Windows
1. Restart the Computer
Restarting your Windows device may not seem to be an appropriate method, but it is worth a try. Try to plug in your microphone and then restart your PC. Then test whether it is working or not. In several cases, it might start to work.
2. Disable and Enable Device from Device Manager
Follow these steps and then try if your headphones are now working on your device.
- In the search bar, type for Device Manager
- Open Audio Inputs and Outputs
- Click on the drop-down arrow
- Right-click on the headphones
- Click on Disable device
- Then again right-click and click on Enable Device
- Right Click on Audio Inputs and Outputs
- Scan for Hardware changes
This may solve your problem if Headphones are Not Working on Windows devices.
3. Set Headphones as Default Device and Change Settings
If your headphones are not working on a Windows device, you can try to check if they are set as the default device for your PC. Follow the steps given below.
- Right-click on volume in the taskbar
- Open Sound settings
- Select the required device as the default device
- Right-click on properties
- Select Advanced Properties
- Open the drop-down menu
- Select the appropriate channel
- Click Apply
- Right-click on headphones
- Test your headphones
By doing this you will set your headphones as the default device. Another thing that is done is that you will change the configuration of the headphones. By doing this you can test if your headphones will start working.
4. Update your Driver Software
To update the driver software follow these steps.
- Right-click on the Start menu
- Go to system
- Go to about your PC
- Scroll down and select Related settings
- Select system info
- Left-click on advanced system settings
- Go to the hardware tab
- Left-click on device and solution settings
After clicking on device and solution settings, it asks do you want to automatically download manufacturers’ apps and custom icons available for your device. Click on No.
Save all changes and close the tabs.
Now follow these next steps to complete the procedure.
- Go to start
- Open device manager
- Double click on Sound video and game controllers
- Right-click on Audio/Audio inputs
- Left-click on the update driver software
After doing this you can now use your device driver software from the website and download it. After downloading you will manually have to update the settings with the above procedure as explained above.
These are the ways where you can configure if your headphones are not working on Windows devices. Follow these ways to check out the problem and continue with the daily work. This will not take more than 10 minutes to complete.
I hope it helped you solve the headphones not working in Windows issue.